Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Angel I call my Child

Being a new mother certainly has its ups and downs. I have discovered a totally different meaning to the word "unselfish" and "time". My son is now five months old and he is just a handful of delightful, wriggly, chubby, gurgling, drooling angel! He keeps me up most nights and I have to spend those nights walking around the apartment with him until he finally gets tired enough to close his busy little eyes and sleep. He clings to me just like a baby monkey and everywhere I go he goes too. Privacy is something that doesn't exist in our home anymore and when little mister yells, my husband and I both make a run to see what has bugged him this time.

When I was wheeled into theater to have the emergency c-section, I was petrified beyond belief. I was so afraid that something would go wrong, that I wouldn't hear his first cries, that there wouldn't be any first cries, that I wouldn't be able to move at all afterward. It may sound silly but I have never before been in a hospital as a patient, never before been under a surgeon's knife. I was in tears the whole time until they stuck a needle into my lower back and I lost all feeling and control in my lower body. The pain up till then had been pretty much unbearable and it wasn't the contractions that were bad, it was the pain in my legs and feet and the migraine that had persisted for more than a week. Ironically enough, the contractions were a relief!

As I lay on the operating table, bright lights shining into my eyes, I watched with fascination as the doctor's cut me open and after two minutes, and a lot of tugging and pulling, they finally lifted my son out amidst furious screaming on his part. He was kicking and struggling and yelling his beautiful little man head off. I have never seen a baby who looked so much like a miniature man at birth. The doctor had a good laugh when he saw my son's frown. It was huge! And for the first month of his life my son frowned at everyone and everything from underneath long dark brown lashes. Even in sleep he still had a frown.

Its hard to see the frown now because he is such a happy baby these days. He has two little white teeth which he uses to bite me with in gay abandon. He gurgles and chuckles and drools and smiles till we think he can't possibly keep it up any longer and yet he does. He clings to us like glue and he gets very upset when he is left alone for too long. My husband adores him and our son can't get enough of his wonderful daddy. I think the reason we battle to get him to sleep at nights is because he is scared he will miss out on something or that we might not be there when he wakes up. I remember having nightmares like that when I was a small girl. Perhaps he inherited some of that from me, or perhaps its something all little ones deal with.

This wonder, this joy, is the blessed angel I call...my child.


2 comments:

Moulin Rouge Dancers said...

There really isn't anything more beautiful and wonderful than childbirth. Your life sounds wonderful :-)

Kamao Poot said...

Find best Home based Business without any work, just invest and rest with your profit
EarningsClub.com