Monday, January 29, 2007

All Creatures Great and Small....and Hairy and Wriggly

Once upon a time, a couple of years after Goosey Gander, my sister (younger) and I found a new hobby. A very interesting sort of hobby, really. One which kept us busy for hours every day.

Have you ever watched those little hairy worms in your back garden and wonder where they're going, what they're doing? Well, my sister and I did. We spent hours observing them, collecting them and feeding them on leaves and little flower petals. Now, my older sister is not at all fond of creepy crawlies and our little "hobby" totally did not appeal to her. She isn't so bad now, I must say, but then was quite a different story.

My younger sister and I used to have our little "meetings" on top of the courtyard wall. We'd bring our collections of worms, old and small alike, and then feed them and watch them roaming around. We'd watch them go into cocoons and then emerge a few days later as orange butterflies. The only problem with these worms was that they were rather smelly. Other than that we thought they were great!

One day we happened to discover something which led to some very profound thinking and scheming on our part. We found out quite per accident that if we sat up on the walls underneath the thick parts of the tree, we could throw some of our little comrades down upon unsuspecting older sisters. It was a few days before we were actually caught red handed. And then we were really in for it! We got such a talking to for being so insensitive and so on, which we really deserved, but it was just so funny to watch our older sister squeal and wriggle and perform the most entertaining moves whilst trying to get the worms out without squishing them. We nearly fell off the wall we were giggling so much!!

After the talking to we were warned not to throw worms at her again or else we'd get a thrashing. This was enough to make us stop...or so you'd think! Well, it didn't. My younger sister and I had the best intentions, really we did, but there came a day when the older sister just really made us very angry and then we forgot all good intentions and flung our little hairy buddies at her in a rage.

The ensueing chaos and screaming brought my mother out to see what all the raucous was about and after she had calmed the older sister down enough to quiet the screams and threats being hurled our way, Mother turned her glare on us. We knew we were going to get it now! And we sure did...when my dad came home we got the promised thrashing and never again did we throw worms at the older sister.
I won't say that I never wanted to again but I didn't. One thrashing was enough for me.

The funny thing is, though, that now I wouldn't dream of even picking up those worms...they kind of gross me out :o) Who would ever have thought?

Well, time to hop it, I have another interview session coming up just now and my boss is here as well. So I better got before I get caught blogging instead of working :o)

3 comments:

James said...

you are so mean!!! when do you leave for merry old england?

Angel said...

Hey James!! yeah, I was rather a mean kid when I was younger :o) I leave on the 5th of March, stop work on the 28th of Feb. Almost almost time to leave...~sigh~ so sad! I don't want to leave my job, its just the coolest job ever. But England is calling loud and clear and so I must.

James said...

Sad??? Don't be sad girl, life is gonna get crazy for you in about a month and the sadness will evaporate instantly (ok, not instantly but after a few really hard and exciting weeks of transition) and you'll be drinking guinness and speaking all goofy and polite like all the other brits! I am jealous as my life is so boring these days here in viet nam!!! I really am jealous as spending some good amount of time in a foreign place lets you really understand it...go get em!!!